Monday, February 2, 2009

1st Day of Chinese New Year

1st Day of Chinese New Year






1ST day of Chinese New Year is a busy day for my family. My mum will prepare shark fin soup for lunch. Therefore, she will wake up early in the morning to prepare the dish. According to my family tradition, my uncle, aunt and cousins will come over to our house for dinner. My mum will cook the Reunion Treasure Pot (Pen Cai). The Treasure Pot is a traditional festive dish of layered ingredients comprising pork, duck, abalone, fish maw, prawn, dried mushroom, dried scallop, yam, carrot, chinese cabbage and chinese radish.


Another dish that my mum will not miss out is curry chicken. My mum is very particular about the curry taste, she never use curry powder to cook the curry. She will always blend her own paste with dry chillies, fresh chillies, dry shrimp, garlic, shallot, belachan and galangal.




The next dish is stir fry winter bamboo shoot with sweet pea and prawn. This type of bamboo shoot can only be available during this period of time. Another important ingredient to be added is the fry flatfish (dry type).



This is only some of the Chinese New Year dishes. I will add in the others dishes next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment